In this blog, I am going to talk about the process of my reboot project, around the world in 80 days(1956).
The story is talking about a gentleman Phileas Fogg who claims that he can circumnavigate the world in 80 days. There are two fellows who joined Fogg’s adventure, which is his valet, Passepartout, and the princess Aouda, who rescued by Passepartout in India.
We had 7 people work on this project. Our leader, Toby, separated our roles as a concept artist, character designer, 3D modeler and 2D animation artist…. and so on.
Our art style is based on the title sequence “A Kiss from Tokyo".
This title sequence already exists in Art of the Title.
The following pictures demonstrates the art style which we want to achieve!
It was a struggle for me to adapt this crayon simple drawing style in the beginning….my work in this group was drawing 2D elements, such as the balloon in France, the bull in Spain, elephant in India, America Indian chasing the train inSan Fransisco and the Final steamboat which took them back in London.
We communicate a lot through the powerful messaging platform, Slack. Everybody has a different timetable with alternating class times. It is always better to talk face to face, but some people have other work to do after school or they live too far to stay late at school for a discussion. Nevertheless, we still had really good communication and I am happy to say that everyone successfully acted as a team player in this group. 🙂
I sent every drawing to our “PotatoPotato" group chat room to receive feedback, and I found that this was important for me, as it helped develop my drawing skills and tailor my art to fit the stle of our animation.
For instance, I did my first draft drawing for air-balloon…
I didn’t realize it was too realistic in that moment….
This is the first drawing that I drew in Photoshop. My leader then asked me if I could change it a bit because it was too digital for our style. So I did change it and watched “A Kiss from Tokyo" again and again to analyze the style of their artwork.
This is the air-balloon which I changed to look more simple than the previous one!
The bull which I drew for the Spain scene, was also requested to be more simple….
After I look it for a while, I realise that my leader was right – it is too digital….it needs some rough lines on it!
So I tried to simplify the color and shadow on it from the beginning.
(but then we still used the first concept bull….)
Same problem with elephant….TOO DIGITAL Vicky!!
It was a funny process to change my original drawing into a simple style because I felt that some elements were necessary to represent the characteristics itself, but other people might think……."IT’S TOO COMPLEX Vicky! KEEP IT SIMPLE!"
This train was created for the America scene, and I tried to make it looks a bit dirty to show it has a history.
(The image of the American Indian chasing the train)
(The steamboat for our final scene)